Skip to content
Want to talk about a project?

Have a project? We’d love to help.

Fill out this form and one of our employee-owners will be in touch soon.

*Required Fields
News & Insights

Groundbreaking at LAWA Midfield Satellite Concourse (MSC) South

LAX’s newest concourse will add 8 gates in an accelerated timeline through a unique Offsite Construction and Relocation (OCR) building technique—first-of-its-kind at LAX.

Celebrating Together at LAX

At a ceremony attended by W.E. O’Neil executives and employee-owners, members of the Los Angeles Board of Airport Commissioners, Los Angeles World Airports (LAWA) executives and staff and other members of the design team, the newest addition to Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)’s multi-billion-dollar Capital Improvement Program broke ground today.

The Midfield Satellite Concourse (MSC) South will add approximately 150,000 square feet and eight gates for narrowbody aircraft.

This critical piece of infrastructure will further support the airport’s capacity-building goals in advance of the 2026 World Cup and 2028 Olympic and Paralympic games.

(Photo courtesy Los Angeles World Airports)

Unique OCR Building Technique Saves Time

LAX’s newest concourse addition will add eight gates for narrow-body aircraft in an accelerated timeline through an innovative and adaptive Offsite Construction and Relocation (OCR) building technique—first-of-its-kind at LAX and only the second at a U.S. airfield. MSC South will be built in nine segments roughly a mile and a half away from the project’s site and then carefully delivered and assembled in place with a high degree of control and supervision.

“This project is amazing because of what we’ve figured out how to do together: deliver the job faster without sacrificing precision and care by building the concourse offsite then meticulously moving the segments into place,” said John Finn, CA President. “Yes, it will look cool! But another major aspect is the speed at which we are able to realize the project while still maintaining the very highest construction standards.”

As LAX sets the stage for the 2028 Olympics, W.E. O’Neil couldn’t be prouder to put our fingerprints on preparing the airport for the next 50 years.

Jim Nelson, Project Executive

Celebrating groundbreaking day with the W.E. O’Neil team and our many partners at LAWA, Woods Bagot, and more.

Workforce Diversity at MSC South

We are neighbors to LAX. “As an El Segundo local business, across the street from the airport,” said Brian Rush (Vice President – Preconstruction), “we have been working at LAX since 2008, and we know and value the local community.”

Supporting local and disadvantaged businesses is not only important for our work on this noteworthy project, it’s inherent to our company vision: “WE Value People. WE Build Dreams.”

W.E. O’Neil has moved to maximize inclusivity and workforce diversity on the MSCS project in several ways:

  • Volunteered an additional 15% goal on top of the 20% Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) federal contractual requirements for a total of 35% DBE commitment
  • Offered a CCIP, an insurance policy type which removes barriers for small contractors
  • Developed a building method (building landside and not on the airfield) which allows a wider selection of local workforce to contribute
  • Works in partnership with the HireLAX Apprenticeship Readiness Program and through a dedicated W.E. O’Neil local worker coordinator

Together with Woods Bagot, LAWA, and all other team members, we’re revolutionizing the way work can be built at LAX—and at other airfields around the country.

Brian Rush, Vice President – Preconstruction